Before a business tax receipt can be issued, the person, company, or corporation seeking the license must meet all of the following requirements. If you are anticipating opening a home based business, please call the Finance Department as additional requirements apply.
1. The application, which may be downloaded here Business Tax Receipt Application must be completed in full. If your business will be located within your home; please download this application Home Based Business Tax Receipt Application.
2. The name of the sole proprietor OR corporation must include full and complete personal information including home address and home telephone number. A corporation must supply the registered agent’s name, address, telephone number and the manager’s name. Further corporation information may be obtained at Florida State Division of Corporations.
3. If your business or profession requires a State of Florida license, a copy of that license must be attached to the application. For detailed information review Professionals and Services Regulated by the State of Florida
4. Completed applications should be submitted to business tax’s along with the licensing fee and a separate $35.00 safety inspection fee for new commercial businesses. Please refer to the Business Tax Receipt Category Listings and Fees for the licensing fee. Checks are made payable to the City of Lake Alfred.
5. All receipts are issued for a period of 1 year on a fiscal year basis that begins on October 1 each year, with all business tax’s expiring on September 30th the following year.
PLEASE NOTE: Submittal of the application for a City business tax receipt does not permit the applicant to operate or engage in any type of business, occupation or profession until the business tax receipt has been issued. When the proper approvals have been secured, the temporary receipt will be issued. The licensing process normally takes five (5) to ten (10) business days. You will be mailed the business tax receipt when available.