Kitchen Safety

Home Fire Facts

• Fire is the third leading cause of accidental death in the home.

• Cooking is the leading cause of apartment fires and second most frequent cause of single-family residential fires.

• Kitchen fires are usually the result of unattended cooking and human error.

Kitchen Safety Tips

Never leave cooking unattended. Turn off appliances as soon as you are done, and unplug electrical appliances when not in use.

Keep your stove-top and oven clean. Grease build-up can catch fire.

Wear snug-fitting sleeves while cooking. Loose-fitting clothes can catch fire when they dangle near hot burners.

Keep dish towels, potholders, curtains and other flammables away from the stove.

Prevent burns by turning pot handles inward so they cannot be bumped or pulled over by a child.

Never allow children or pets to play in the area when you are cooking. Create a 3-foot “child/pet free” zone around the oven and stove.

Watch out for microwave burns! Use potholders to remove food, remove lids carefully to prevent steam burns, and test food temperature before eating.

Do not overload electrical outlets.

Make sure your hands and the floor you are standing on are dry before handling electrical appliances.

If a fire starts…

Never put water on a cooking fire…smother it! If a pan containing food catches fire, carefully slide a lid over the pan and turn off the burner. If a fire starts in the oven, close the oven door and turn off the heat. If the flames do not go out immediately, call 911.

Close the door on a microwave fire. Leave the door shut and turn off the microwave. If the flames do not go out immediately, call 911.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy and learn how to use it.

If clothing catches fire… Stop, Drop, and Roll! Do not run, this only fans the flame. Stop where you are, cover your face with your hands, drop to the ground, and roll over and over to smother the flames.