Firefighter Reserve Program
The Reserve Firefighter program provides benefits to the City of Lake Alfred Fire Department, the participant, the community, and Polk County by broadening community resources and increasing public awareness. The Reserve Firefighter Program is a non-paid, voluntary position that allows Reserve Firefighters the opportunity to give back to the community by assisting certified firefighter/EMTs in the prevention, control and suppression of both structural and non-structural fires, and in response to man-made and natural disasters. Work is public safety oriented in the protection of life and property, and is of a physical nature involving an element of personal danger. Participants must be able exercise discretion in addressing emergency situations.
A participant of the Reserve Firefighter program may encounter many dangers related to work in a fire department including, but not limited to, vehicle accidents, and exposure to blood-borne/air-borne pathogens.
Reserve Firefighters are required to complete a minimum of the following duties per month:
- Three 24 hour shifts per month
- Training sessions as required
- Community events as necessary
All participants must meet the following qualifications in order to be considered:
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) from an accredited institution.
- Live in Polk County or the surrounding area
- Current State of Florida Firefighter II Certificate.
- Current State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician or Paramedic Certification.
- Current Healthcare Provider (BLS) certification.
- Paramedic candidates must provide current Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Certification, and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification
- Proof of completion of the Emergency Vehicle Operators Course.
- Nonuser of tobacco or tobacco products for at least 1 year immediately preceding application, as evidenced by sworn affidavit of the applicant. F.S. 633.34(6).
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver License without any restrictions affecting job performance. Driver license must show current address.
Interested candidates MUST:
- Submit an application with copies of the above listedcertifications and documents, as well as a Certified Department of Motor Vehicles “complete” driving history for every state in which a driver license was held within the last 7 years. The search date MUST be within one month of the date the application. Please note that online driving history records will not be accepted.
- Provide official court dispositions for any previous arrests. Official court dispositions can be obtained from the Clerk of the Court in the county in which the incident occurred.
Candidates who qualify will be subject to an extensive selection and screening process which may include, but is not limited to, evaluation of training and experience, interviews, fingerprint and background check, medical evaluation, and drug screen. The expected duration of the process varies based upon availability of positions.
HOW TO APPLY
At this time, we are accepting applications for the Reserve Firefighter Program.