Lake Alfred Library
The Lake Alfred library is named after Dr. Edwin Moore. Dr. Moore was a research scientist at the Florida Department of Citrus Scientific Research Department located at the University of Florida IFAS Citrus Research & Education Center (CREC) in Lake Alfred. He was the co-inventor of frozen concentrated orange juice (FCOJ), a product that transformed the Florida citrus industry after the 1940s. At that time, FCOJ was superior to any other processed orange juice product, and it became known as the “Cinderella Product” because it led to a major expansion of the Florida citrus industry throughout the state.
In his will, Dr. Moore left an endowment of $800,000 to the Lake Alfred Friends of the Library with the stipulation that the money be used to build a library. In his honor, the new library was named after him. Dr. Moore was a quiet, unassuming man who had an encyclopedic knowledge of citrus.
Dr. Moore was listed by state historians as one of “the 50 Most Important Floridians of the 20th Century” by the Lakeland Ledger. He was inducted into the Florida Citrus Hall of Fame in 1983.
Our Library Is Born
This booklet was put together by Jane Brumbaugh and Margaret Wheaton after spending hours gathering information and newspaper clippings to assemble the library history from 1962 to 1973. Check with the librarian if you are interested in a copy of this booklet.
General Library Services
- Free Library Cards
- Free internet/Wi-Fi access
- Books, Movies, Music CDs, Audio
- Books and E-Books for personal and classroom use
- Faxing and Copying Services
- Notary Service
- Requests and Renewals
- Document Lamination
- Wireless Printing - print directly from your laptop, tablet, or phone
- Large print books
Children's Department Services
- Excellence In Reading Program
- Various reading level materials for Beginning to Advanced Readers
- Mondays - Afternoon Craft - 4:30 pm to 5 pm
- Wednesdays - Storytime - 10 am to 11 am
- Thursdays- Coloring Hour - 2 pm - 3 pm
- Stories, Music, Singing, and Crafts
- October Calendar
Young Adult Services
- Research Information for school projects
- Newest bestsellers for "tweens" and teens